Welcome to Wallaceburg District Secondary School
Welcome to the W.D.S.S. website. I am very proud to have the opportunity to serve this school and community.
W.D.S.S. has approximately 700 students and the exceptional staff provide outstanding opportunities for our students both in their courses and extracurricular activities.
Wallaceburg District Secondary School offers a full complement of courses from Grade 9 through Grade 12.
Courses in the various subject areas are offered in a variety of levels of study (Academic, Applied, Open, College, Univrsity/College, University, Workplace, Essential, A.B.L.E. (Academics Based on Life Experiences, D.D. (Developmentally Disabled) and M.F. Medically Fragile, Gifted and Enrichment programming.
The school also offers specific programming to support student success including Learning Strategies courses, a Co-operative Education program, O.Y.A.P (Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program) and a full range of resource services.
W.D.S.S. also offers a fully Provincially accredited Personal Support Worker program and Dual Credit opportunities with Community Colleges. We offer Native Studies and Language courses. Five S.H.S.M.’s (Specialist High School Majors) are offered at W.D.S.S. in Agriculture, Arts and Culture, Environment, Health and Wellness and Manufacturing.
- Some of the examples of excellence I can share from the past year:
- EQAO: Literacy success rate up 9% this year over last.
- EQAO: Mathematics results are above Board and Province for Applied and Academic Students Credit Accumulation Grade 9 95.86%, Grade 10 93.75%, Grade 11 88.52% and Grade 12 86.87%
- Return to Redfeather participation
- First Volunteer Diabetes testing offered in-school
- Completion of Air Conditioning in the Cafeteria, Gym and Weight. Rm.
- Completion of phase one and part of phase two of the courtyard renovation project
- First Eco School in the Board and Silver status on top of that.
- First Hosting of the Chamber of Commerce “Business After Hours” at W.D.S.S.
- First hosting of the 99.1 morning show at W.D.S.S.
- New “PAIRS” partnership with Enbridge.
- New weight room equipment
- Began planning for the Academic Showcase to be constructed
- Champion Teams: Football, Basketball, Cross Country, Swim Team and individual achievements in many other areas of sport including personal fitness.
- W.D.S.S. Social Issues Club and Future Elders participate in the Equity and Inclusion Conference
- W.D.S.S. hosts the first workshop in L.K.D.S.B. for the Visually Impaired. Ryan Van Praet returns to participate in the Tinman.
- Drama participation and achievements at SEARS
- Art Celebrations, shows and awards including shows in Sarnia. W.D.S.S. student art displayed at the Board office. Showing art throughout the summer at the Wallaceburg Museum.
- New Chess club with participation in the McGregor tournament
- New Girls Rugby team.
- Successful completion of SHSM’s in 5 areas
- Successful Tartan Tour to welcome new students.
- Successful Tinman
- Successful Bronze Boot
- Successful Remembrance Day Event
- Successful Christmas Assembly
- Successful Athletic Banquet
- Successful Food Catering and Preparation for Events
- Creation of a beautiful year book
- Rebuild of the First Nation Cultural Medicine Wheel
- Walls painted this summer (Will be completed in sections)
- New divider Curtain to be installed for the large gym next week
- New renovation of the Library in progress
- Renovations to the cafeteria including window covers, large screen and mounted wide angle projector for activities and meetings in AC
- First use of iPads in Special Education and Library.
- First joint attendance to a conference between W.D.S.S. Special Education teachers and Community Living Wallaceburg staff
- Two students received the Queen’s Jubilee medal for volunteering
- PSW program received three year accreditation
- W.D.S.S. student wins the competition between schools to win the prestigious Jack Perry award
- Student and school participation in the Rick Hanson Man in Motion Anniversary
- Addition of hydroponics and a greenhouse
- First music class “flash mobs” at WD
- Renewed Student trip opportunity to France and Spain. Next year, Ecuador and Galapagos Islands
Hit this link to see the Grad Calendar.
Click Here to see our Courses and Departments.
Follow this link to see our student handbook.Read More
Click the link to see all the Tartan Teams.
Click the link to see all the WDSS Clubs and Activities.
Follow the links bellow to see other Tartan Info.
- See What Our Students Are Up Too!
AUTUMN CARNIVAL 2012 Video
Walpole Island Video 2012
- Students Made Blanks for London's Victoria Hospital PCCU
Students from WDSS and École Secondaire De Pain Court sewed baby blankets to donate to London's Victoria Hospital PCCU (Pediatric critical care unit)